Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My essay is finished. :)

I am posting it in 7 parts over the next week.


Why should the church embrace the internet? It is seen as costly, time consuming, impersonal, confusing, irrelevant, threatening and downright dangerous for many of the people I speak to.
In this essay I will examine some of the current literature relating to the use of the internet in local churches; looking at the themes that arise in the discussions, to find out why my church should be involved in the internet. I will use my conclusions to decide how and to what extent this involvement should take place.

I found only one book in the Library for this reading unit, The Gospel in Cyberspace: Nurturing Faith in the Internet Age.   It was also the oldest, a 2002 publication, but it was valuable and set the scene for the rest of my reading.  It is written by Catholic Priest Father Pierre Babin, and Sister Angela Zukowski. They write as Catholics and frequently quote the Pope. 

The argument of the book seems to be that the internet as new medium and spawns a new culture and as with all innovations and cultures, the gospel needs to be translated into the new culture’s language.  Father Babin quotes the maxim of Mencius, “The man of a different race is a forgotten aspect of ourselves, and, thus he is a secret mirror of God”[1]  For Sister Angle the most significant symbol for the discussion is Rublev’s Trinity Icon.  It is a door to authentic community and communication.[2]

There was some discussion in the book about Christianity being at the cutting edge since Christianity began as far as media are concerned. 
The new technology calls for a deep change in the system.  The Council of Trent also changed the system after the invention of the printing press.”[3]

Pierre examines the evangelisation that needs to take place in this new medium.  Evangelism is not proselytising he explains but needs to be a respectful authentic exchange.[4]

Sister Angela talks of a four part approach to enable effective evangelisation.
1.      Our way of being (or presence)
2.      The environment
3.      Authentic listening
4.      Action within our cultural contexts

Her example of this is going to visit a Navaho woman in her village.   She went seeking answers but the woman just smiled and kept weaving and she felt most uncomfortable.
After seeking advice she went back and sat with the weaver week after week (environment), Until she could perceive the whole range of sounds around her. (authentic listening) Eventually the woman said:
 “You know sister, several weeks ago our spirits joined.  In our silent presence with one another we were woven into a deep communion.  Have you felt it? What has it said to you? You first came to me with so many words.  Your vision was narrow.  In the silence I have learned much about you and I hope you about my people our land and myself. Now are there questions or comments you wish to make to me (action)?”
Well what could I say?  So many of my original questions appeared to no longer be relevant to the context.  I the evangeliser was being evangelised.  As we proceeded to tell stories about our spiritual experiences of the All Holy, I found we had much in common as women and seekers of spiritual truth”.[5]


[1] Babin, P. & Zukowski, A The Gospel in Cyberspace – Nurturing Faith in the Internet Age. (Chicago: Loyola Press,  2002), p. 193.
[2] Ibid., p. 191
[3] Ibid., p. 191
[4] Ibid., p. 177
[5] Ibid., p. 127.

1 comment:

  1. This is great! So neat to have your blog showing how it all comes together!

    ReplyDelete