Thursday, January 27, 2011

Another Film about Facebook: 'Catfish'

It says it is not a horror movie but their are scary parts so I probably won't watch this film, but the comment in the review from Eureka Street that jumped out at me, and is relevant to my study of church websites is:  

'If a "virtual relationship" affects you emotionally, then it's not virtual at all. 
Ariel Schulman.

http://www.eurekastreet.com.au/article.aspx?aeid=24799 

Though the critics at Rotten Tomatoes give it 81% so it may well be worth seeing.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/catfish/

4 comments:

  1. I am posting my sisters comments until they work out how to do it themselves.

    That quote - "if a 'virtual relationship' affects you emotionally, then it's not virtual" - just doesn't sit well with me. An idea is 'virtual', but by existing then it has effect; people are getting lost in online virtual reality, just as they have in the virtual reality of novels, for centuries; and these can create very real, very emotionally effective, relationships.
    I guess the first issue what does "virtual" mean.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raise a really interesting point of how virtual and real can merge in places.

    I find it interesting that a movie can garner more cred if it is based on a real story than a made up one. Interesting in term of Jesus' parables? Would he have done better if he based them on true stories? I don't think it should make any difference but Hollywood marketing would have us believe that it does make a difference.

    N

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see this film! Agree that relationships are relationships whether pen friends, family, neighbours, workmates, church members.... or on facebook. All sorts of things contribute to the richness or otherwise of the relationship, the medium may be one!

    J (sister 3)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea I looked up virtual and I can see that there is perhaps confusion between two different meanings in this discussion, one meaning happening on the computer, in cyberspace, and the other the opposite of real, physical or absolute.
    So things of the mind and imagination and feelings are all virtual in a sense until they effect you physically.

    ReplyDelete